Director TOMMASO FAGIOLI
Editor LUIGI LOMBARDI
Sound ANDREA GUASTADISEGNI
Microcosmo (15′) is a self-produced “Lo-Fi” experimental docudrama entirely shot with a Nikon P900 and based on its incredible superzoom: 85,3 x optical to 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom, 24 – 2000mm, equiv. 135.
Apart from the fiction of the director’s dead (my death), everything in the short is real. I observed, spied, documented the “macro” of the city and looked into my self, into the “micro” of two individuals, because in the meantime time I was breaking up with my girlfriend, the girl featured in the short, and I documented it. Those words are our real words, those shots, dialogues, and close-up are not staged, they are part of the “document”. So what started as a pure observational shortdoc on humanity roaming through the Eternal City, it became a personal statement about love, death, and the concept of faith – under the cosmic vault.
THE STARTING IDEA
During summer 2018 I got so impressed about Nikon P900’s superzoom tests on YouTube, and I thought: «Ok, this is a new language, a new possibility to see, I want to do something with it». So, I bought the camera right away and started shooting. I’ve shot for about 2 months (from mid July to August), aproxx. 1 Tb of material. The short is entirely self-produced, basically the budget was the cost of the camera plus a tripod. The recording tools of today, economically accessible and widespread throughout the world, from mobile phones, to GoPro microcameras, allow us to greatly extend our visual geography and explore new languages. That’s what I tried to do with this work. Microcosmo has been selected for festival distribution by multi-awarded short distribution house Zen Movie: https://www.zenmovie.it/microcosmo
- (2018) IFF International Film Festival “Message To Man”, Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation, September 17, 2018. World Premiere “In Silico” (experimental section, in competition).
- (2019) Laceno D’oro (the oldest Italian short film festival) at Laceno, Italy, December 7, 2018. Final Selection (in competition).
- (2019) 3rd Busan Intercity Film Festival in Busan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, May 31, 2019, Beyond City 02 section.
- (2019) UNESCO “The Ideal City” Challenge in Fabriano, Italy, June 14, 2019, Microcosmo got a Special Mention in the urban story-telling contest “The Ideal City” promoted by #romecityoffilm with the patronage of the #unescocreativecity. For the jury, chaired by Rome Film Festival Head Programmer Mario Sesti, the short deserves special mention: « For the surprising array of original images captured by a nested eye in unusual and revealing perspective that offer the viewer, through the fantastic apologue of the story, the chance to seize a city as a single whole, endless and fascinating as a planet to discover.»
- (2019) Sardinia Film Festival, Sassari, Italy, June 14, 2019. Video Art/Experimental (in competition) Special Mention
- (2019) Open Eye Film Fest, Marburg, Germany, 24, 2019. In competition.
- (2019) “Aquerò – lo spirito del cinema”, Milano, Italy, November 16-24, 2019, in competition. The film got a Special Mention.